Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Appreciating life

This past few days has been emotional for me. Life currently is in a mode of appreciating life and all the big and little things we take for granted every day.
This past Sunday my husband and I were heading to East York to do some shopping. It is very hard sometimes to get him to go shopping with me, even though this was for a computer. We were coming off of Bull Rd. turning left onto route 30, and in the far left lane. We were in a black Dodge Durango and there was a black older model Camaro beside us. The light had turned green for us to proceed. I was driving and I started pulling out and immediately noticed that a big cream colored Lincoln Town car was obviously not going to stop. I slammed on my brakes and watched them continue to cruise straight through the light. The Lincoln has just missed us but the poor camaro sitting beside us, was blinded to see beside me. The Lincoln plowed into the Camrao, pushed the other side of the car into the truck that was going straight through and then yet proceeded to somehow wind up in the far left lane of the east bound lane of route 30, and only hitting one other car in its path.
My husband and I pulled over and called 911. We then walked over closer to the accident scene and waited for police, ambulance and fire trucks to show up. The police officer took my name, number and address. He said thats all he needed from us and we were free to go.
As we drove away, I looked in the rear view mirror and got a little teary eyed. It sort of seemed like an out of body experience. I saw all those flashing lights in multiple colors and told my husband that I felt so guilty for leaving the sight. Even though we weren't directly injured, we were still a part of this accident and actually that should have been us back there, not walking away. I wish I could have done something to warn the other cars but the seconds had passed too quickly and was not possible.
Thankfully no one was seriously injured. Aside from that, I have been thinking about the events for the past few days. Feeling guilty because, what if I didn't stop in time? I would have been seriously hurt but could have saved the other cars and people. At the same time I am thanking God that my husband and I did stop inches short and were not hurt. I am just totally greatful for life, and at least for the moment I am not taking any aspect of it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment