Sunday, February 7, 2010

teenage children

How do you deal with teenagers and attitudes in this day and age? Things were not like this when I was growing up. When we were told we could or couldn't do something that was the end of it. I am dealing with a daughter who is 18, a senior in high school and for the most part is a real good girl. I however, have problems dealing with the attitude when she asks if she can do something.
For being 18 she doesn't run around much. Its usually school, work and home. She is just naive to the ways the world is and can be. We tell her she still lives under our roof so she can't do totally what she wants when she wants. With her being so naive, I guess her father and I feel that just letting her stretch her curfews a little at a time is better than just letting her go on her own. If she were more street wise I don't think I would hesitate as much. I just really question myself if the way we handle it is better or is it doing her more harm than good. Do I want to let her experience things slowly as I feel she is mature enough to handle them, or is this my way of not letting go?
Example: she comes to me at 3:30 and asks if she can go to a friends house. They will pick her up because of the condition of the roads. Where they live, they don't have cell phone reception. We have just had a major snowstorm. Lets not forget that the Superbowl is on tonight. So I tell her she needs to be home by 7. Normally her curfew is 9 on school nights because she is a bear in the morning. I asked her how late she was going to wait to discuss this and she said she just found out. Her attitude was that it is not enough time and she should be able to stay later. Not even thinking about the icy roads, like she is invincible. My response is, you don't call until last minute, the game is on and they are not going to want to leave in the middle of the game to bring you home and plus when the sun goes down the raods will get icy again. Normally she would probably call me at 6:45 and have some excuse to not come home on time as planned before she left the house.
Are there any other parents that can shed some light on dealing with teenagers and attitudes or in this day and age are we just supposed to let them do whatever, whenever even when there are circumstances such as the weather?

1 comment:

  1. Im a teenager the same age as your daughter. I think that you should let her go out and learn things by making mistakes. My mom did that for me when I turned eighteen. Now that she let me learn on my own we have a much closer relationship then we would if she held me back. I don't know if that helps you but now you have the view point of a teenager.

    ReplyDelete